|Conquest® Butt-Weld Bubble Test Procedures
Experienced, certified CONQUEST fabricators can usually inspect
completed CONQUEST butt fusion welds visually with a high degree
of accuracy. In some circumstances, it may be desirable to field
test CONQUEST Butt-Welds prior to installing the mechanical
The bubble test procedure allows fabricators to quickly and
easily evaluate butt welds nondestructively, to augment their
In cases where fabricators lack experience, or in which owners
are not satisfied with a "visual only" inspection, the bubble
test should be employed.
CAUTION: This is a low pressure, pneumatic test. Pneumatic
tests present hazards associated with the stored energy in the
system. Make certain that all pipe spools are securely anchored
to prevent dislocation and explosive movement of the pipe in the
event of a complete weld failure.
- Using a cold chisel and hammer, remove the metal ring to expose
the inner plastic liner.
- Slide the flange with the large center hole on the pipe spool.
- Slide the Victaulic or Grovlosk clamp on to the pipe and
position it from end of pipe spool to the dimension from the chart
that matches the size of pipe being tested. Tighten the clamp bolts
evenly with as much force as can be applied with a hand wrench.
- Slide flange with large center hole that is already on pipe
spool up to the just installed clamp.
- Put the two long bolts with washers through bolt holes in the
flange with large center hole 180° apart. The threaded ends of
the bolts should be sticking past the end of pipe spool with exposed
liner stub. Bolts should be placed 90° from bolts in
Victaulic or Grovlock clamp.
- Make sure rubber gasket is in grooved flange. Slide grooved
flange with air regulator onto the two long bolts and onto end of
spool. Guide the exposed liner stub into the circular groove of
- Put washer on bolts and spin up nuts finger tight being careful
to keep the grooved flange perpendicular to pipe spool.
- Snug up nuts with hand wrench with 1/2 turn increments,
shifting from one side to the other until tight.
- Make sure small Hoke valve is in closed position.
- Connect air hose to pressure regulator and pressurize pipe
spool. Do not allow regulator to be set higher than twenty (20)
psi. this is sufficient pressure to detect leaks.
- Apply Testox 10 detek instant gas detector on butt weld. If
the joint has a leak the detecting fluid will foam.
- Remove the tester by opening the small Hoke valve
(to release internal pressure) and by backing off the regulator
to zero psi. Then remove the air supply. After the pressure has
been released, the tester can be removed by reversing the order
that it was installed by.
Components use for butt-weld
bubble test procedure
Bubble test assembly
Evidence of a bad weld
"This page is a machine translation of the source page, which is written in
English. This translation is intended to provide a general idea of the
page's content, and is not guaranteed for accuracy."